Published on January 1st, 2018 | by Roger Corbinetti0
Dolphin Triton Plus with Powerstream Review
Summary: The latest and most advanced robotic pool cleaner from Maytronics. The Dolphin Triton Plus comes with a special feature called PowerStream to improve its wall cleaning ability. It is a pricey cleaner but one that provides full value for your money and then some.
The Best In-Ground Robotic Pool Cleaner for 2017
- For in-ground pools of any shape and size
- Great at cleaning wall and steps
- Two sets of filters: 4 fine + 4 ultra-fine
- Extra large top-access filter basket
- Weekly timer
- 2-hour regular cycle and 1-hour rapid cycle
- 2-year warranty
- New for 2017
The 2017 Dolphin Triton Plus With PowerStream robotic swimming pool cleaner is a beast. It is pricey, but it has the features to justify the price tag.
Every feature, from the filter system to the smart navigational software, has been designed for maximum performance. The Dolphin Triton Plus will thoroughly clean your swimming pool while consuming as little energy as possible.
If you are looking for a powerful and intelligent in-ground pool cleaner, I highly recommend Dolphin Triton Plus. It has several features you don’t find in standard robotic pool cleaners such as: Bluetooth remote control, a smartphone app and a special feature specifically for vertical cleaning.
When it comes to cleaning, there is one feature that sets this robotic cleaner apart from all others.
Maytronics calls it, PowerStream. It is designed specifically to improve the robot’s vertical climbing ability, thus allowing it to easily reach and clean the wall and waterline.
PowerStream is activated when the cleaner begins its vertical climb. Multiple powerful water jets are emitted in different directions, pressing the robot strongly against the wall.
This extra-strong grip allows the Dolphin Triton Plus cleaner to navigate vertically and reach every spot on the wall, without falling down or getting confused, as so many other cleaners do.
The addition of PowerStream does make a huge difference in vertical cleaning. Other robotic cleaners tend to struggle with the walls and steps, forcing homeowners to finish the cleaning themselves. The Dolphin Triton Plus does a perfect job in one pass.
The new Triton does not just rely on PowerStream for cleaning, however. Another important feature is the active brushing system. A large brush spins at twice the speed of the robot, ensuring that even the most stubborn dirt is loosened.
The brush system is especially helpful if your pool hasn’t been cleaned in a while and has a lot of grime stuck on the floor and walls.
Overall, the Dolphin Triton Plus with PowerStream gets an A+ in cleaning ability. It handles the floor like a piece of cake, scrubs the walls clean in no time and leaves no spot untouched on the stairs.
Dolphin robotic cleaners are known for their oversized filter cartridges.
The Dolphin Triton Plus with PowerStream is no different. It comes with an over-sized top access basket. This allows it to collect all kinds of debris in one go.
The new Triton Plus also comes with four fine and four ultra-fine filters.
You can choose the best filters depending on what kind of debris you need to clean.
For fine sand and tiny algae, the ultra-fine filters are perfect. For larger particles, twigs and leaves, the fine filters are better suited for the job.
Bluetooth Remote Control
The addition of Bluetooth remote control is one of the most unique features of the Dolphin Triton Plus.
Most robotic pool cleaners with a remote control use a dedicated special-purpose hand-held remote. But with the new Dolphin Triton Plus, you replace just use your smartphone.
Using the app, you can steer your Triton Plus using a virtual joystick or by tilting your phone in the direction you want the robot to go. It makes for a really cool experience, certainly more fun than using a handheld remote control.
Because it uses Bluetooth, you need to be within about a 30 foot range to control the cleaner using your phone.
An LED indicator on the robot will tell you what mode it is in. Blue means normal mode (autonomous cleaning) and green indicates that it is being controlled by a smartphone.
On the app, you can also set the weekly cleaning timer, to clean your pool unassisted, automatically, at certain times during the week.
The first time you put Dolphin Triton Plus in your pool, it seems to be wandering around with no rhyme or reason.
But by the second session, it has developed a strategy for your pool.
This is the work of the CleverClean navigation system. It uses a variety of sensors plus AI software to map the lay of the land in your pool. It maps out the shape and size, understanding how the floor is shaped and where the curves and corners are.
Once it successfully maps the pool, the Dolphin Triton Plus uses its scanners to ensure that every inch of the floor and wall is covered in a quick, efficient and thorough manner.
I can happily report (along with other owners) that you probably won’t have to go back in to scrub spots missed by the robotic pool cleaner.
1. Anti-tangling algorithms
Maytronics upgraded a lot of features in the Dolphin Triton Plus with PowerStream.
One of the features that got an upgrade was the swivel cable. The engineers had something even better in mind.
They created algorithms that are able to keep the cable from tangling as the Dolphin does its work.
This is the first robotic pool cleaner we have seen that ditches the popular hardware solution for a system that uses smart anti-tangle algorithms. It is not just a fancy solution, it is an effective one too.
Though a swivel cable would have worked just as fine, we love seeing innovative solutions like this – as long as they work!
2. Weekly timer
The automatic weekly timer is very convenient. You can go about your work away from home, confident that your pool will be cleaned regularly, ready for use at any time.
There are two ways you can set the weekly timer: using the app in your smartphone or on the control unit connected to the cleaner via a cable.
There are three handy buttons on the control unit that really simplify scheduling. The first button sets the cleaner to automatically clean every day for a week; the second button every other day; and, the third button every three days.
Most pool owners will find the everyday and every other day settings to be ideal. Once the week is over, you have to manually select the preferred timer again.
The weekly timer is a huge plus for those who are not always at home to manually start the cleaner. You don’t have to wait until the weekend to get your pool cleaned.
3. Top access filter basket
The basket is really big, much bigger than you typically find on a compact robot cleaner like this one. To access it, you simply lift the top cover and the basket handle springs upwards.
You then lift it out and clean it. A bottom panel opens downwards to allow collected leaves and debris to fall out.
Use a hose to clean the filters, and the basket is ready to go back inside the cleaner. Popping it back in is as easy as removing it.
4. Two Sets of filters included
The Dolphin Triton Plus comes with two sets of filters. They include 4 fine filters and 4 ultra-fine filters.
You can pop in any combination of four, depending on what kind of cleaning you want.
For a regular cleaning, most users recommend inserting two fine (regular) filters and two ultra-fine filters. This allows the cleaner to capture all sizes of debris from small algae to large leaves.
Replacing a filter with another is easy and takes about a minute or so.
5. Two cleaning modes
It is a hot Saturday afternoon and there are unexpected guests coming over in an hour. The pool is fairly clean though you can see a few particles in the water and some dirty patches at the bottom. What do you do?
Worry not, the Dolphin Triton Plus has the perfect solution. Normally, it operates under a 2-hour cycle. In this mode, it cleans every nook and cranny including the walls, stairs and floor.
But you can switch it to a Quick Clean mode for those last-minute visitors.
The quick clean mode keeps the cleaner running for just 1 hour. It only does the floor, leaving the walls and steps for the full 2-hour cycle.
This mode is handy when the pool isn’t too dirty and you just need a quick scrubbing.
- One of the best pool robot cleaners in wall cleaning. The PowerStream feature makes a big difference in how the Dolphin Triton Plus tackles vertical surfaces. The result is a cleaner and healthier swimming pool.
- Uses a smart navigational system to improve cleaning efficiency. Using CleverClean, it saves energy while still delivering a thorough scrubbing.
- Large capacity basket with top access. This is one of the largest filter baskets we have seen in a robotic pool cleaner. Furthermore, you can access it easily and quickly through a door at the top.
- Two filter options. Depending on what kind of debris you want to remove from the pool, you can choose from the fine filters or the ultra-fine filters.
- Remote control capability. Using a smartphone app, you can steer the cleaner to specific spots. The app also allows you to set the weekly timer.
- Versatile. The richness of features in the Dolphin Triton Plus makes it one of the most versatile robotic pool cleaners we have ever reviewed. It can clean any pool shape, can capture all debris sizes and offers two cleaning modes.
- Light. At only 17 pounds, this is one of the lightest in-ground robotic pool cleaners we have reviewed. It is even lighter than the Dolphin Triton Plus (without PowerStream) which weighs 24 pounds. The light design allows you to easily lift it into and out of the water.
- Easy to use. Despite the high-tech nature of the Dolphin Triton Plus, it is super easy to use. It comes with a manual to help you get started. By the end of the first session you will be a pro at powering it on, cleaning the filters and programming the various settings.
- It’s pricey. Costing over $1,000, this is not a budget cleaner.
- The controller app needs more work. Some users say the Bluetooth connection is weak and others say the app simply doesn’t work at all. We had no problem, however.
- 2-hour cleaning cycle with 1-hour rapid clean cycle.
- Weighs 17 pounds.
- Dimensions are 16.77 x 16.38 x 8.97 inches.
- Equipped with Bluetooth connectivity.
- Weekly timer.
- 60-foot cable.
The Dolphin Triton Plus with PowerStream is not cheap, but I still highly recommend it. I see it as an investment, not an expense. You spent a lot of money on your pool. Wouldn’t you want to maintain it the best way possible?
This is exactly what the Dolphin Triton Plus does. It also saves you time and energy while keeping the pool in top shape.
If this cleaner did a less-than-stellar job of cleaning the pool, I would hesitate to recommend it especially for its price. But it does a great job.
And it’s not just me – customer after customer are giving this unit a 5-star review. Furthermore, many say that it keeps performing highly many months after buying it.
If you have an in-ground pool, this is one of the best robotic pool cleaners you can buy today.